The newest Premium Sram compatible Oval chainrings (110/5bcd) are designed specifically for Sram cranks that have 1 hidden chainring bolt behind the crank arm like Sram Red, Red eTap, Red22, Force1, Force22, Rival, Rival1 and more. These are finest shift-able oval chainrings on the market.
Why oval chainrings work
Oval (elliptical) chainrings work because a rider does not produce power evenly through a pedal stroke; they maximize the part of the stroke where power is produced and minimize resistance where it isn't. Oval rings make the spin cycle a lot smoother and are easier on legs while climbing. Believe it (or not), but a round chainring doesn't transfer torque to your rear wheel as smoothly as an Oval one. You will actually feel your stroke to be more "round" with an Oval shape than with a round chainring.
Why it matters
Traction, Traction and Traction. With oval rings rear tire traction improves greatly on loose and slippery terrain. Smoother power delivery to your rear wheel means that you will be able to maintain better, constant cadence; get less stress on the joints (knees) and therefore be able to keep certain level of effort for longer. This results in higher average speed. Moreover, 11 studies made by various Universities in the World show that using oval chainrings human legs utilize more muscle groups (compared to round one), but each of them to lesser degree.
- Compatibility: Only for Sram cranks that have 1 hidden chainring bolt behind the crank arm: Sram Red, Red eTap, Red22, Force1, Force22, Rival, Rival1. Compatible with Quarq.
- Bolts: Reuse original Sram bolts except the hidden bolt. AB Outer chainring comes with the hidden bolt in the package. If changing inner chainring only - reuse all original bolts.
- Material: CnC machined 7075 Txxx Aluminium. Long-lasting construction. Type II anodizing.
- Ovality: Optimized to each size separately. 34T- 6.5% ; 36T- 11.4%, 50/52 - 10.3% ; Timing of 108 -109.5° after TDC (top dead center) - Ideal for road climbing.
- Real weight: 30 g (34T), 36 g (36T), 125 g (50T), 131 g (52T).