Innovating the wheel that for years has been a market benchmark might have seemed difficult and risky, but the Campy Tech Lab™ designers have managed to maintain those characteristics of flexibility and ease of handling that have made this high-profile wheel easy to steer, high performing and safe.
The new Bora™ Ultra™ 50 bursts onto the market not only with introduction of the new tire bed dedicated to the clincher, but also with improvements to the previous version in terms of lightness, aerodynamics, stiffness and comfort thanks to use of the new wider rim and front and rear hubs with different diameters.
The 2018 range sees the addition of the new AC3™ (All Conditions Carbon Control) Technology braking track, which brings braking safety on wet terrain closer to that on dry.
Plus extremely clean-cut aesthetics guaranteed by innovative water-transfer graphics. All without giving up on the extreme smoothness, which has become the market benchmark and is the result of use of CULT™ bearings.
Unequalled performance and reliability
The 50 mm Full Carbon rim guarantees the best quality available on the market.
Long-lasting smoothness is ensured by CULT bearings, nine times better performing than a standard solution.
The carbon wheel with the best braking performance
Internationally one-of-a-kind AC3 technology guarantees unique performance by the Bora Ultra 50 also when braking.
Excellent grip between brake pad and rim allows for gradual, constant braking and shorter stopping distances, even in wet conditions
Its dedicated brake pads (red compound) guarantee reliability and durability.
The best carbon wheel ever
All the Campagnolo knowhow now also available in a clincher version.
Aerodynamic spokes, wider profile, carbon hubs, CULT bearings, self-locking aluminum nipples, oversize flanges and much more.
The distinctive G3 design of the rear wheel guarantees excellent stiffness and an unmistakable look.
- New full-carbon rim, 24.2 mm wide, for clincher: great comfort and maximum aerodynamics for interacting with new tire standards. Extremely high lateral wheel stiffness and reactivity.
- 3Diamant AC3 - brake surface treatment: this process eliminates the “breaking-in” period, improves braking performance under both wet and dry conditions and creates a more linear and smooth overall braking performance.
- Exclusive rim printing system: rim painting no longer required. The weight is greatly reduced and the surface is free from imperfections.
- Exclusive G3 spoke pattern: perfect balance of the spoke tensions on both sides of the wheel. reduces stress, increases transversal rigidity and the transmission of power to the wheel. G3 eliminates vibrations even with “heavy” cyclists.
- New brake pads made especially for carbon wheels: the new blend increases the brake performance by about 40% on wet surfaces and 20% on dry surfaces without increasing the wear and tear on the pad. For a more modular and more secure stop.
- Spokes with Aerodynamic profile: provides the maximum aerodynamic penetration. Reduces aerodynamic drag saving rider energy.
- Carbon fibre hub: provides a high degree of lateral stiffness and reduces weight to the minimum.
- Oversized flange: greater torsional stiffness and greater reactivity.
- Cup and cone bearings: easy ball/bearing adjustment - reduces possible ball/bearing play - precision operation - maintains performance over time
- Cult: the combination of the highest quality ceramic bearings with housing in special Cronitect® steel. Nine times smoother than the standard system. Eliminates oxidation and maintains performance over time.
- Aluminium axle: reduces the weight of the wheel.
- Quick release: new, completely redesigned and lighter aerodynamic-profile wheel block. Steel spine and eccentric, lever with drill lightening and aluminum die.
Cult™ - Ceramic Ultimate Level Technology™
Behind this project is the exclusiveness of Cronitect® steel, using “Advanced by FAG” technology by Schaeffler Group employed for the bearing races. This steel is resistent to the corrosion of the highest level until the point that no grease is necessary for lubrication, maybe just a small amount of oil.
The top quality ceramic balls, thanks to the absence of lubricating grease and the precision machine of the cup and cone technology, allow to reduce the friction coefficient drastically and then increase the smoothness of triathlon and road bike wheels by as much as 9 times compared to standard bearings. An outstanding result achieved by using cutting-edge technologies in the field of materials processing.
The concept is simple and elegant: balance the weight of the gasket, with an item of similar weight placed on the exact opposite side. For top models, this is obtained by a special operation on the section of the rim opposite the rim joint.
For entry-level models, Dynamic Balance™ is obtained by using two oversized spokes in the section opposite the joint. The result is a wheel with perfectly balanced rotational dynamics.
3Diamant AC3: surface treatment for braking tracks
Campagnolo® has employed its engineering resources to further improve the already impressive braking performance of its full carbon wheel systems. Having already researched, designed and produced internally high-performance brake pads specifically made for Campagnolo® carbon wheels, the Campy Tech Lab™ set its sights on perfecting the braking surface.
To ensure optimum performance in all conditions as a complete braking system, the brake pads would function even better with an improved braking surface. The outcome of this research produced the new 3Diamant™ surface treatment which, using advanced machinery and state of the art diamond tipped precision tools, eliminates imperfections caused by non-homogenous resin deposits and allows the brake pad to work directly atop specially woven carbon fibers. This new process eliminates the "breaking-in" period, improves braking performance under both wet and dry conditions and creates a more linear and smooth overall braking performance.
Campagnolo® has developed an assembly architecture which, compared with a traditional wheel, makes it possible to improve energy transfer, reduce the stress on the spokes on the right and increase transverse rigidity.This is achieved because in G3™ geometry the right-hand side of the rear wheel is fitted with twice as many spokes as the left. The results of G3™ system are truly extraordinary: better transfer of the driving torque, better lateral rigidity, reduction of the stress in the rear wheel spokes. And thanks to the G3™ system that compensates for the forces acting on the 2 sides of the wheel, there are no more wheel vibrations, even for heavier people.
Wheel bags, carbon brake pads and QR included.
Campagnolo Bora Ultra 50 Bright wheelset 2018
|Front wheel spokes||18|
|Rear wheel spokes||21|
|Rim profile||50 mm|
|Braking surface material||Carbon|
|Front wheel real weight||641 g|
|Rear wheel real weight||814 g|