Being a part of the updated Deore XT M8100 groupset, the new Shimano brake system set a new standard in terms of modulability and performance. Thanks to the new I-Spec EV system, the lever has 2 support points, which guarantees superior stability, while the main feature allows lateral and angular adjustment of the shifter with a single screw mounting option, thus keeping the handlebar in perfect order.
The design of the lever follows the lines of the XTR and offers Reach and Free Stroke adjustments for custom braking. Servo Wave technology also provides faster response and unparalleled braking power.
Brake lever features
- Two points of contact for superior stability and refined ergonomics.
- Cleaner and more functional cockpit organisation.
- 10% more responsive than the M8000, even at high temperatures.
- Faster brake response with reduced no-load travel.
- Reach adjustment without tools.
- Free Stroke adjustment.
- Intuitive and versatile braking.
- Clamp: Open Clamp Band.
- Lever size: 2 fingers.
- Caliper compatibility: BR-M8100, BR-M8120.
- Servo Wave mechanism.
- Real weight: 115 g (front), 115 g (rear).
Brake caliper features
- Number of pistons: 4.
- Faster piston retraction.
- Superior modulation.
- Fixing screw dimensions: 5 mm.
- Connection: Banjo.
- Mounting Type: Post Mount.
- Fluid: Shimano mineral oil.
- Pads: N04A (resin), N04C (metal).
- Levers compatibility: BL-M8100, RT-MT800.
- Cooling: Ice Tech.
- Real weight: 218 g (front), 229 g (rear).
Disc brake system with the dual diameter opposed-piston caliper design has differently sized pistons in front and in the rear. The system adopts a power transfer system in which the disc brake rotor is pressed by the smaller sized piston at the entrance of the disc brake rotor intake and also by the more powerful larger sized piston at the back. This prevents the wobbling motion of the disc brake rotor and reduces noises significantly. The 4-piston caliper also allows a wider contact area for the disc brake rotor while keeping the size compact, and the efficient location of pads is adjusted as necessary to stabilize the pressure. In combination use with the ServoWave lever it provides an incredible 50% more stopping power than the previous model.
The fade, which can occur to disc brake rotor and pad when braking on a long downhill ride for instance, has a negative impact on the braking performance. Shimano has adopted Ice Technologies disc brake rotor and Ice Technologies pad to realize the cooling technology for consistent performance. The clad disc brake rotor blade, which has a 3 layer-sandwich structure of stainless steel, aluminum and stainless steel, provides better radiation performance achieving from 400˚C to 300˚C surface temperature. Also, the radiation fin has been adopted for the pad. Moreover, the clad disc brake rotor blade and the radiator fin provide long pad life, less noise, less fade and lightweight.
One Way Bleeding
“One Way Bleeding” was developed for quick and easy prevention of air in Shimano's hydraulic system. They've streamlined the oil route throughout the system to prevent air bubbles from being captured in the system. One way oil routing plus a funnel tool with mineral oil provides an easy and clean bleeding system.
I-Spec EV creates a clean and action-optimized cockpit that provides greater focus and flexibility for a wider range of riders.
Benefits & Features
- Wider adjustment range allows riders of various styles, preferences and body styles to adjust to the optimal position.
- Ergonomic design, quicker lever access, and light operation enhance rider comfort and concentration. I-Spec EV increases brake lever rigidity by moving the brake clamp position inward to create an extra point of contact between the bar and the lever. This additional bracing drastically increases bike control and braking engagement while maintaining space between the clamp and support point for other handlebar accessories.
Servo Wave Action
When you pull a Servowave brake lever, initial pad travel is fast, so little lever movement is needed to bring the pads into contact with the rotor. The power multiplication factor then increases rapidly at the pad-to-disc contact so more of the lever stroke is used to apply greater braking power with improved control.
- Right lever: rear brake (hose length: 1700 mm).
- Left lever: front brake (hose length: 1000 mm).
- D03S: Organic brake pads.
- N04C: ventilated metallic brake pads.
- N03A: ventilated organic brake pads.
Brake kit includes: hoses, fluid and Shimano pads.
Rotors, olive and connecter insert not included.
Find out more on the packaging of this item.